Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai confirmed on Saturday that he has tested positive to coronavirus.
The governor announced this in a 52 seconds video he uploaded on his Facebook page on Saturday evening and an announcement in a statement he personally signed which was released to the media. Judicial Sketch obtained a copy.
El-Rufai explained that he took the test for the virus earlier in the week, and has said that he was going into isolation in compliance with recommendations of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.
He also said that his deputy will continue to handle efforts of the state government to control the spread of the virus in the state.
Below is the governor’s full statement:
Earlier this week, I submitted a sample for the Covid-19 test. The result came in this evening, and I regret to say that it is positive.
According to the protocols for managing Covid-19, I am in self-isolation as required by the case management guidelines of the NCDC for someone that is no showing symptoms.
I wish to appeal to the people of Kaduna State to continue to closely observe the preventive measures already announced.
It is most important that everybody should do their utmost to stay safe, stay home and stay alive.
The Deputy Governor is chairing our Covid-19 Taskforce and will continue to issue statements from time to time.”